Five Years and Counting




September 30, 2013 marks our five years anniversary as boyfriend/girlfriend. Who would have thought that this simple man in college will turn into my fiancĂ©? Insert kilig expression here. Going back to how we’ve started, we first met during the LTS in college when I became a part of the Student Council. It was our college Pres Uly and Vice Jerome, who happens to be a friend of mine, who introduced me to the school org. I first hesitated, but then I thought, why not. Then the next day I joined the annual Leadership Training Seminar. Jolo was part of the org before I joined. He was my teammate and though I did not really notice him on the first days, there’s this one specific part of the training that I see him the most – during the teambuilding activity. We had this teammate who is really big and the challenge is to cross over a ‘sapot ng gagamba’. She’s really scared but she needs to get over it for us to be able to move on to the next obstacle. Prince initiated offering her arms to get Karla up the obstacle while others were trying to push her until they made it to the other side. That was the only time I saw his gentleman side. Well he’s not really the type of guy who gets to talk to every person around but he gives instructions and extends help when needed. That really got me and I can’t even forget that until now.


Moving on, after the three-days training, everybody were like sending GMs or Group messages as sign of a good relationship among the officers. One time he surprisingly sent a message, at first I didn’t know but eventually I learned that it was him and he got my number from kuya Norman. Exchange of messages went on, until I thought he was sending the messages to everybody. I was surprised when I found out that it was not a GM anymore, but a message sent only to me: “Good morning! “; “Lunch na, wag mag skip ng meal”; “Ingat!” And some other stuffs. 
Eventually, he started doing things consistently. Messages in the morning, lunchtime, merienda, and dinner. He kept saying ‘Ingat ka’. There’s even this one time I remember him said, ‘Hindi ako iinom ng gamot hangga’t hindi ka nagdidinner’. There were times when he would bring me foods and even share them or eat with me in the office. That’s the time everyone started asking us what’s going on and teasing us.
Day came when he was asked during a Spin the Bottle game, he admitted falling in love with me. I was shocked and wasn’t able to absorb until the next day. Well I thought I heard it wrong, or at least I hoped. But then what I got was a question about my feelings for him. Well, one day, that was September 30, 2008, I told him I’m feeling the same way for him.


Days, months, years passed by. He became my partner, my best friend, my buddy, my guard. He protects me from harm, he reminds me of the things I usually forgot, and he takes me to places and never let me travel alone. He gives me courage and inspiration. He taught me things I can never learn on my own. He never left my side. He tries to learn to do things my way. He never lets me get disappointed. He’s there when I cry and gives me hugs and kisses. He holds my hand when I am scared. He fights for me. He accomplishes things for me. We discover things together. We do things together. We travel together.


We’re two different people – completely different. He’s the serious type, I’m playful. He’s matured, I need improvement on that. He’s realistic, I am idealistic. He’s submissive; I’m more of, like, the boss. Yes, we quarrel.. A LOT. I mean, I fight with him a lot. But that doesn’t mean we do not love each other enough. It’s the spice! Well I guess what’s important is that you know how to settle your differences and that’s what we are continuously working for.


Five years, and oh, engaged! This may be the last anniversary we will celebrate as girlfriend and boyfriend. Next year we may be taking the next step. But I will forever be grateful for what we had over the years - the love that we have for one another despite every misunderstanding; the love that binds us no matter who we meet along the way. The love, that goes with friendship and respect, is our armour against every obstacle we meet along the way.


WOOH! It’s been FIVE long years and we’re still together. And for sure, we will be celebrating more days and months and years together. Now, I’m sure of that! J

“Hey, it’s been FIVE Years since that special day. I guess it’s safe to say that You and I are better than Sonny and Cher, honey and gel. And you and I are better than Aladdin and Jasmsine…   WE’VE MADE IT HAPPEN.”



- ymhej -
10.07.2013

Comments

Popular Posts