Pressures of Getting Married

There is a BIG difference between 'I want' and 'I am ready'. Being a young adult doesn't mean you have to engaged yourself in truly adult commitments. Because, as I have said, I believe there's a big difference between the things you want and being ready for its consequences.

Prince and I were both 23, and in a relationship for more than three years now. But I believe it's not yet the time to get married, as many people have been excited about for us. Yes, I honestly don't know why they're so much looking forward to our wedding day, when we, two, even don't think about it yet. Maybe you thought we're almost on the right age to get married, but to tell you frankly, financially, emotionally and spiritually, both of us are not yet prepared.

Marriage is one of the seven holy sacraments of the church. And let me say, for me, it's a very delicate one. You'll promise forever in front of the altar, with God's blessings, you'll say your vow to your partner. And after the priest pronounced you as husband and wife, you'll give your everything believing that he's all yours for the rest of  your life. But nobody ever know what will happen next. I've learned it from my sibling's marital situations. Yes, they actually have different stories -- Stories that scared me from the the sacrament of marriage. I've learned that marriage doesn't really give you the assurance of the life you imagined with the person you love. It can be hell as much as it can be heaven. Worst, it can be more of hell than heaven. There could still be the issues of third party, irresponsible partner, etc, etc. Yes, I've seen them in their situations. And instead of telling myself I know what to do if ever I've been into the same situation, I'd say, of course, I do not want that to happen to me, ever. Not that I'm not strong enough to endure the pain they're feeling, but because I'm afraid to only lose my trust and never to find the relationship work as it did. As I always say, if I was on their shoe, I'd rather end the relationship and let the man go than be a prisoner of the pain he's giving me. I do understand that in their situation, though, it's the kids' fate on hand. For me, I don't care. I'm educated and I know there'll be a good offer for me anytime. Well, that's my perception about the things I see in them. I know I'd still be clueless on what to do when I'm actually there. And that scares me more. I did everything to be able to get a degree in college because I also want to find a man who's educated enough to provide financial stability to our family in the future. A man who's emotionally mature enough to be faithful in me for the rest of our lives. An every-girl's-ideal man. How I wish there's still a few that exists.

Many would ask when are we going to get married. It's making me think, really. There are times when Prince and I are talking about how are we going to do in the future. Sometimes, I even feel that he wants us to get married soon. He's sharing his visions about our future together and it makes my heart jump, both to nervous and excitement. Until such time I realize I am also dreaming of my own wedding! well, yes, we 'want' to get married, but as of now, we're not ready yet. Surely, it would not be this year, and I don't think it would be next year, either. There's a lot of preparations to do for that. There's always a right time for everything. We hope it would be soon, though. In god's time.

So I guess, for now, the perfect answer would be: We'll get there, for sure. Right? Don't pressure me, please. ☺




Comments

Popular Posts